This advanced course will have many practical sessions at sophisticated microscope setups which will limit the number of participants to twenty. Interested PhD students, postdocs or other scientists can apply using the application form below. When the number of applications exceeds the number of available spots the participants will be selected on basis of their research project, microscopy experience and motivation.
The registration fee for applicants from academic institutions is 450 Euro.
This fee includes registration, syllabus, accommodation in double rooms and all meals during the course. Travel costs are not covered. Note that one can apply for a YTF grant that will partly cover participation costs (see below).
Methods of Payment:
Accepted applicants that have been accepted to participate in the course (Feb 15th 2019) will receive an invoice from our financial department. Payments must be made by bank transfer including Name, Surname and Invoice number. Bank charges are the responsibility of the participant and should be paid at source.
Youth Travel Fund (YTF):
A limited number of FEBS Youth Travel Funds (YTF) Awards are available to support participation of early-career scientists in this event. These funds will partially cover the registration fee (including costs of event meals, and shared accommodation in a twin room), up to a maximum of 500 EUR per person. The selection of applicants to receive FEBS YTF awards will be carried out by the Course Organizers and approved by the FEBS Treasury Office according to the FEBS YTF eligibility criteria (also shown below).
Eligibility criteria for applicants travelling from the FEBS area of Europe and neighbouring regions:
- The applicant should be not older than 35, should be registered as a PhD student at an institute of higher learning in a country where there is a FEBS Constituent Society or should be a postdoctoral scientist within five years of having completed a PhD thesis, working in a country where there is a FEBS Constituent Society;
- The applicant must be a member of a FEBS Constituent Society and provide a valid certificate of membership (for FEBS Constituent Societies, see the Our Members section of the FEBS website);
- The applicant should not have received a grant from the Youth Travel Fund to attend a FEBS Course / Workshop in the current year or previous year, nor a Bursary to attend the FEBS Congress in the current year, nor a grant to attend the FEBS Young Scientists’ Forum in the current year;
- The applicant cannot be a resident of the country hosting the event;
- For awards with travel funding, only travel within the FEBS area from the applicant’s current country of residence to the country hosting the FEBS event is supported;
PhD students and post-docs interested to apply for a YTF grant can indicate this at the course application form (see below). Applicants selected by the Course Organizers will be notified at Feb 1st 2019 after which your society membership has to be confirmed. In order to complete your YTF application for FEBS some additional paperwork will be required afterwards.
For more information, please go to: Youth Travel Fund guidelines (YTF).
The registration of the course has been closed. All applicants have been notified by email.
Besides filling in personal information one requires
– A short description of current research and microscopy experience (max. half A4).
– A short motivation why you would like to participate in this course (max. half A4)
Nov 21st 2018: Registration will be opened
March 15th 2019: Early applicants will be informed if they are accepted to participate in the FEBS course. Also the YTF travel grants will be awarded.
June 9th 2019: Arrival and start of the FEBS Practical course with an evening session
Registration cancellation & refund policy
All registration cancellation requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org in writing. For cancellation requests received on or before 1 May 2019, the full payment, less bank charges, will be refunded; for cancellation requests received on and after 1 May 2019, the full amount will be charged and no refunds will be made. No cash refunds will be made for the credit card payments in the case of cancellation.
You should seek and follow the advice of your government before registering and booking travel for the event and before travelling to the event. You are solely responsible for making your own appropriate travel and other insurance arrangements before booking travel for the Congress.
Modification and cancellation of the event
The Course Organizers reserve the right to modify the event programme, which is published as an indication only.
In the event of cancellation of the event, at any time, as a result of any event of ‘force majeure’ or for other reasons that are beyond the control of the Course Organizers, the registration fee shall be refunded by the Course Organizers but neither the Course Organizers nor FEBS shall be held liable for any other costs or losses incurred, such as transportation costs, financial losses, etc.
Disclaimer and ‘force majeure’
Neither the Course Organizers nor FEBS shall be responsible for any bodily injury/death or property damages (including theft) sustained by participants during the event, unless such damages are a direct result of the negligent or unlawful act or omission thereof.
In any event, neither the Course Ogranizers nor FEBS accept liability for damages in the event of bodily injury/death, property damage, disruption to travel plans and costs incurred as a result of ‘force majeure’. ‘Force majeure’ (or ‘Act of God’) reasons include but are not limited to: war or threat of war, riots, civil strife, terrorist activity, industrial disputes, natural or nuclear disaster, adverse weather conditions, epidemics, health risks, fire and closure of airports or airspace.
Any legal dispute resulting from the accepted terms and conditions will be subject to the law of The Netherlands.